Skip to main content

Final Post

 


A picture containing person, indoor, people

Description automatically generated


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btguTTywi0


    Apple’s latest ad for the iPhone 12 shows us in a funny way just how scary technology can be. In the ad, a guy orders a cup of coffee from an app on his iPhone, then as he’s leaving the coffee shop, the server jumps over the counter and follows him out of the store. As he goes through his day, the iPhone user picks up people everywhere he goes – his bank, the drug store, even his home. When he sits down on his couch at the end of his day, there is a huge crowd of people with him that he has “picked up” throughout his day. Apple closes the ad by showing us how the iPhone 12 allows us to limit who tracks our data.


    We don’t think a whole lot about privacy (at least I don’t) when we Venmo a friend to pay our portion of a meal we shared, order a new pair of jeans from our favorite store’s website, or download a movie to watch on a plane ride. Think about it – companies now know who you ate dinner with and quite possibly where and what you ate, what size pants you wear and where you like to shop, and the kinds of movies and shows you like to watch. So what’s the big deal, right?


    Well think about all that these companies can now do with what they know about you.  Some of the information can be used in ways that are pretty harmless like suggesting you visit the restaurant again, promoting a sale on shirts that might go with your new jeans, or recommending another movie you might like based on your last choice. But what would happen if the information about the medicines you take was made available? Could a potential employer offer a job to someone else because they know you take anti-depressants?


    Before I took this class, my biggest concern about privacy was “Are my parents tracking my location when I go out?” But now that I have seen what and who can track my data, I will definitely need to be careful about who I share my information with and the kinds of things I do online. And I’ll rely on my own good sense as opposed to Apple’s privacy settings because who knows what Apple can track even if my settings are “private?”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #5

The Record Player      Not many people own records or record players anymore, and if they do, they’re probably not 19 years old. But a few years ago, a record player was the #1 item on my Christmas list, and I was so excited to find one under the tree on Christmas morning! Maybe it’s just in my blood. My grandfather was in the radio business, and I’ve up listening to him tell stories about the music and radio industries, so when I reached out to him about the EOTO project, he was eager to tell me his recollection and opinion of how the phonograph and records changed music forever.      Before Thomas Edison invented the phonograph in 1877, the only opportunity people had to hear music was if it was played live. If they didn’t live in a city, then they most likely had very limited access to things like orchestras, vaudeville acts and marching bands. Some of the earliest recordings were of military bands, comedy skits, and even “artistic whistling.” (Thompson, 2016) By the 1920s, music wo

My Top 5 News Sources

1. Snapchat Snapchat has been a very popular social media platform for quite some time now. Many teens like myself don't watch really watch news channels by choice so we normally get our news from social media. Snapchat has a few public "Stories" One of them is called "Daily Mail". This specific story consist of articles about your favorite celebrities, updates on Covid-19  procedures, and even politcal articles.  https://medium.com/inside-the-news-media/daily-mail-on-snapchat-222dce4b5204 2. Instagram  Instagram is obviously a huge social media platform that people of all ages use. Instagram isn't necessarily a news outlet but it is a great way to spread news or awarness because it posts can go viral and reach millions of people. I myself have come across a number of articles about the president or covid 19. This is my second favorite news platform other than snapchat because teens don't want to watch the news but they do go on instagram so bringing the